Food + everything associated with it is definitely having a moment. Food bloggers abound, kitchen shops are the new must-see boutique and a hot restaurant reservation is as coveted as a front row seat at the latest runway show.
Trends and products in the food + kitchen industry seem to be as quick to evolve as fashion. As a girl who finds as much joy in the TOOLS + PROCESS as the work I do, I love the newness + innovation coming to life in the kitchen. A few new-to-me favorites I’m obsessing over:
1. Food52. I discovered this site after picking up their amazing book last fall, Food52: A New Way to Dinner. The site + the book share: amaze-balls photography, delicious recipe inspiration. Online also has a well-stocked and curated shop. I can’t stop.
2. This vegan + vegetarian moment we’re having. I LOVE all the healthy vegan + vegetarian inspiration around us in blog, recipe and cookbook form. I consider myself a flexitarian, eating vegatan 70% of the time and working in bits of sheep + goat dairy, fish, chicken or beef a few meals a week. I have dreams of going all vegan, all-the-time, but at this point in my life, I just can’t bite that off. If and when I do, these ladies will be the first resources I turn to:
Jeanine Donofrio. I gifted my sister-in-law her Love and Lemons cookbook and enjoy browsing through it when we visit each time. I am obsessed with her site: great content, awesome typography + photography, and have loved everything I’ve tried.
Angela Liddon of Oh She Glows is the girl who first got me interested in vegan-ism. These potatoes were the first thing I made from her blog, and they were amazing enough to get me hooked. This summer bowl is a work lunch staple for me. And my sweet tooth LOVES this health(ier) treat.
Okay. And the one recipe I can’t wait to try? Chick-fil-a inspired tofu nuggets. WTF. It’s on.
3. My standing Sunday afternoon date: Mason Jars. Who knew a canning jar had so many uses beyond canning? I’m obsessed with these little workhorses of the kitchen and use them daily for overnight oats, work lunches and to store leftovers. I set up a meal prep Sunday to knock out a week’s worth of breakfasts + lunches for both s. and I.
4. Anything Staub. But especially these bad boys. I love the versatility of the cocotte and how MUCH I can cook in it on the stove, or in the oven. In the fall, I make large batches of soup and store it right in the pot to go seamlessly from stove top to refrigerator. A few of my other favorites from them: mini cocotte (I haven’t figured out a use case to justify these yet, but I’m committed to finding one soon) and their spatulas.
5. Flatware Trends. The last time I purchased flatware, I only remember oodles and oodles of silver. These days, all the trends of fashion jewelry has migrated, happily to flatware. Gold, brass, black, copper + melamine handled beauties abound. I’m in the market for new flatware, and have been eyeing these options:
6. Reusable lunch containers. A must-have for back to school, and for mamma’s work lunch. Aside from my mason jars, a few regulars in our house:
Our favorite lunch containers, freezable lunch tote, and reusable snack bags. This year, we’re also trying these super cute portable utensils for s’s school…we’ll see how long they make it back and forth.
7. Cooking with Kids. I love to cook, and thank goodness, my mini loves to help me. She’s actually pretty good at helping and I love having her company.
S. loves to bake, much more than her mamma does. I let her do all the measuring, mixing and pouring (knowing I’ll have a dirty kitchen, but a happy kid when we’re done.) Muffins, cookies, and pancakes are her jam so far. I love having this tradition with my girl, and love that I’m passing on some good life skills while we have some fun!
8. Food Porn. er, Instagrammers you MUST follow. And if you do, when it makes you hungry – don’t blame me. You were warned.
So. As you can see, I’m a big fan of being in the kitchen. Or at least looking for inspiration to be in the kitchen!
What are your favorite recipes right now? Kitchen tools you can’t live without? I’d love to hear about below.